Changing My Team’s Identity ft. Brenda Mock Kirkpatrick, (Episode 8)
Changing My Team’s Identity
Every team will develop their own identity whether you want them to or not. It is up to coaches to shape and focus those energies appropriately. Coach Mock arrived at UNC Asheville and the program had a culture that she wanted to change. She discusses how her program evolved into a program that won back to back Big South tournaments and earned back to back NCAA tournament appearances.
- What was your team’s personality?
- Why was it that way?
- What did you want your identity to be?
- What strategies have you used to “get there”?
- If you’ve “arrived”, when did that happen? How long did it take?
- What’s next? Maintain or evolve to something else?
As she discusses, it’s always a process. It always takes attention and effort to make sure your team is what you want them to be. It’s impossible for players to flip a switch. However, if we’re always focused on what it takes to improve every day, our team will develop the identity that we want them to.